Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Bluebird Diaries - Chapter 1


Mister Blue put some pine straw in the bungalow to show me how nicely it matched the interior decor. He left a little at the front door as a doormat. Works well, don't you think?


I decided that the condo he selected would indeed be acceptable, and I began to build the nest.

Not an easy task, let me tell you.

"Need any help?" Mister wanted to know. He is a thoughtful fellow.

"Oh no," I said, "thanks all the same." Men just don't know the intricacies of tucking in the bed sheet corners. They'd just stuff 'em under any old way. There is an art to it.


The neighborhood had an ample supply of pine needles, grass, and weeds. I had no trouble collecting all I needed.

Mister would check in on me from time to time, offering suggestions on where to position the furniture. I ususally just nodded my head politely, and put things where I originally intended.

By the end of the afternoon, I pretty much had things where I wanted them.


We had a well constructed nest with just the right amount of depth, width, and space from the front door. Mister and I both thought it would make a good place for our next brood.

Mister fairly twittered as he surveyed the yard, "Bonnie Blue, you've done it again. This is a fine nest indeed. As long as we can keep those pesky wrens and house sparrows away, we'll soon have another healthy lot of babies."


I reminded him that we still had a healthy lot of teenagers waiting back home at the other apartment. We needed to be getting back before they had time to invite all their friends over for a wild party.

Next: Mister Blue stands guard.

No comments: