Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Bluebird Diaries - Chapter 3

They're all here! The clutch is complete! Four beautiful sky blue eggs! Mister Blue and I are so excited!

We knew we might have anywhere from 3 to possibly 7 eggs. We also knew that our second brood of the breeding season would likely number fewer than the first. Four eggs are just right!

And now, we wait. 12 to 14 long days and nights. Once incubation begins, it must be continuous. This is going to be the hard part.

Mister Blue comes to check on me regularly.

"Bonnie Blue?" he calls, "is there anything I can get you?"

He is just the sweetest bird. I hope these babies have his thoughtful genes.

All he needs to do for me, though, is mind those older fledglings. That and make sure I'm not disturbed.

Wouldn't you know that I would pick the hottest days of the year so far to begin sitting on these eggs? Some folks might think it's hot enough for them to incubate themselves, but I'm not taking any chances. I stay on them as long as I can stand it, and then I take a short break to cool off and have a snack.

Our landlord is concerned about me. She knows how hot it must get inside this little bungalow, especially in the afternoon sun. On days that the temperatures go into the 90's, she sets up a garden hose to spray mist around the condo.

She remembered a visit to Las Vegas one summer when it was too hot to breathe. Many of the resorts had cool mists blowing out at the entryways. It made it much more comfortable to wait outside for a taxi. I guess she figures misting my house will lower the temperature a few degrees.

I must say, it has been more tolerable. I can stick my head outside the door, open my beak, and feel the spray on my face.

Our landlord is so good to us. First the veranda, now the cool mist. Maybe she'll add some additional condos for next season. If she does, we'll sure have to tell our friends about this place.

I wish you could see Mister Blue dive-bombing that chipmunk over there. He's very selective about who gets to hang around the neighborhood.

I figure I have about 10 or 11 more days to go. Stay tuned!

Next: Bonnie Blue names the babies.

No comments: