Thursday, January 06, 2005

Observing with compassion

Wow. I have my very own Blog. I've never had a Blog before. Until this year, I didn't even know what a Blog was. Unless maybe it was solidified blob. Or a really viscuous clog. or something.

I don't always have strong opinions, but I often have observations that I'd like to share. Feel free to agree, disagree, or comment.

Observing is something I find highly entertaining. One can learn so much simply by observing what's going on around you. In a restaurant, for example, I watch the dynamics of the staff as they scurry in and out of the kitchen. Or I watch the body language of couples sitting nearby. I perceive various emotions and personalities from these observations. Perhaps our server is having a bad day, and only puts on a pleasant demeanor when dealing with customers. Maybe a smile or compliment from us would ease the burdens for a moment. Maybe a young parent is frustrated with a tired, fussy child. Perhaps an empathetic gesture and coo to the baby would ease the tension, and the parent has a respite even for only a moment.

Therein lies my point. We all have burdens. We all share similar emotions. Try recalling what it feels like to receive an unexpected kind word or compliment. Nice, huh? Do you smile at strangers? When you do, do you ever receive surprised smiles in return? We can give someone (as well as ourselves) a precious gift if we learn to observe and respond with caring. No matter that we don't know the nature of the trouble. All it takes is sincere warmth, demonstrated in a light touch, a smile, a shared chuckle, or a kind word.

This could be our small contribution toward making our chaotic world a more tender place. With very little effort, we could brighten a moment for another person who, regardless of gender, race, or fortune, is just like we are on the inside. Who knows? Maybe the gesture will be passed along.

And that's how I see it.

No comments: